An Overview of Common Shutter Terms: O-Z

Guides & Tips

This is the second part of a two-part series that aims to help those looking into interior or exterior shutters for their Toronto home understand the terminology and options, which will help to ensure that they make the right decision about which type, style, or even size shutters they want in their home.

Below are common shutter terms from O through Z.

Paint. Most people know, generally, what paint is. When it comes to shutters, if you choose vinyl shutters you will be able to choose the color of them, but it won’t have anything to do with paint. There is almost no limit to the colors of paint you can apply to wood shutters, but the most common is some shade of white.

Panel. The panel of a shutter is essentially one entire unit that consists of the frame, slats, top rail, and tilt bar. Most shutters contain more than one panel.

Plantation Shutter. This style of shutter is also commonly referred to as a California shutter. It has generally thick and wide slats and are considered more elegant in style.

Rabbet. This is a cut or groove that is placed along the edge of a stile between multiple panels. The purpose of this is to help reduce the amount of light that can penetrate past the shutters.

Rail. This is a horizontal bar that is situated across the top, center, and bottom of the panel. It essentially composes of what seems to be a frame for the slats.

Shutter Unit. A shutter unit consists of all necessary components that work together in order to cover up an entire window. It will include the frame, top rail, hardware, slats, and everything else of the shutter itself.

Single Tier. Having a single tier shutter means you’ll have one single unit covering the entire window, rather than two or more independent shutter panels.

Square. When measuring windows, you may hear about this term. It basically means that a window is considered square when the difference between the largest and smallest measurement is no more than half a centimeter. That also means that both diagonal measurements for the window will differ by less than half a centimeter as well.

Stile. This is the groove that is commonly found along either side of a shutter panel.

Tilt Bar. This is a vertical bar that is associated near the center of the slats, or louvers, and is used to manipulate those louvers to allow air and sunlight into the room.

Window Jamb. This is the portion of the window opening where the shutters will generally be attached to.

If you have any other questions about terms you here with regard to exterior or interior shutters, contact Canada Custom Shutters.

Call For Pricing
or Schedule a
Free In-Home

Call Now

Get a FREE Estimate

Enter your information below to get a 100% FREE, no obligation estimate.

PRIVACY POLICY: We respect your privacy. We will not sell or rent your email address to anyone for the purposes of soliciting you.

For Pricing or to Schedule an In-Home Consultation, Call Us At: 1-905-953-0801 or